1. Cleaning and exfoliating- Taking regular showers and exfoliating dead skin cells from your body with a luffa or scrub gloves (my favorite) washes away potentially harmful surface bacteria and increases blood and lymphatic circulation in your body. This is a pretty obvious way to stay healthy, but I wanted to mention it because it is probably the most important and easiest step to take in keeping healthy. Not only are you keeping yourself healthy, but you are also keeping others healthy by not spreading things like staph or gross E. Coli- yuck-
2. Vitamins, probiotics, & enzymes, Oh MY!- I take vitamins, probiotics, and digestive enzymes regularly to make sure I'm getting all my necessary nutrience and that my digestion stays on point. I believe that true health starts from there- and the older you get, the more outside assistance you need to make sure you can continue feeling youthful and confident.
3. Rest, Massage Therapy, Yoga, Acupuncture, and Chiropractic- When something comes up with my health, I try to use these four options first- then, I make a doctors appointment. If It can't be treated with a good nights sleep and massage or restorative yoga stretching doesn't work, I visit my acupuncturist. Because i believe that chiropractic is a little more invasive, I save that as my last option before a trip to the doctor- Of course if it's a bacterial infection- it's doctor time! I don't mess around with that. HA!
4. Exercise and a good diet- Everyone hates this advice (including me) but its 100% spot on. Finding an exercise that you like to do is a great way to ensure that you'll stick to it. I recently rediscovered how much I love to swim. I even taught myself how to do the flip turn when swimming laps! (FINALLY!) As far a keeping a good diet...well- I'm still working on that one. I've decided that it takes a whole lotta planning to make sure you- 1. Have the healthy food at home in your pantry and 2. Have the time, energy, AND desire to cook it... I loathe grocery shopping so #1 is rarely true at my house. Which brings me to #5....
5. Organize your life and make your pleasures your priority. This may seem like a pie-in-the-sky idea for some but is extremely effective if you can manage it. Happy people have a regular schedule- they organize their activities, their homes, their cars- what ever. Maybe its creating a sense of control in a chaotic world, maybe it decreases the stress and tension of everyday aggravations "where are my dang keys." but it could allow you to schedule in things that make you happy- that bring quality to your life. When everything is organized, you have more time to do what you love. Like get a massage- from me :)
What do you do to keep yourself healthy?
Tell me your secrets under the comments section-